Days of Our Lives: 18 Month Edition

We've been in a pretty consistent groove lately, so I'm recording our routine for posterity:

7:00 - Henry wakes up, which serves as my alarm clock.  Karl is usually out of the shower already.  Henry has a bottle and cuddles me in bed, Karl walks Izzy and heads to work.
7:30-8:30 - Henry and I get dressed and ready for the day.
8:30 - Elaine arrives or I drop Henry off at Ravi's.  Lately Henry has been wailing and clinging to me like a lemur when I try to leave, so it takes me awhile to get out the door, though for several weeks prior, he happily waved bye-bye and started breakfast.
9:15 - I get to work.  Henry now has an exciting roster of activities, including story time at the neighborhood library, music class as the arts workshop, a live music toddler dance party, and story time at the Library of Congress. I'm rather jealous that Elaine gets to do all this fun stuff with him.
4:50 - Karl leaves work and goes to get Henry.  They walk the dog and start dinner.
6:00 - I leave work and meet them at home.  One of my cases settled last week, so for the past week I've been leaving early and going home with Karl, which feels totally luxurious.
6:30 - We usually have dinner ready and we all eat together.  Lately we've been eating in the backyard, which makes dinner feel like a leisure activity and shortens our clean-up time.  Henry can literally be hosed off after dinner.
7:00 - We all go upstairs and Henry gets some naked time.  We play in Henry's big boy room, read books, and watch out the back window for trucks.
7:30 - Henry gets a bath and changes into his pajamas.
7:45-8:15ish - Henry and I snuggle in the rocking chair, read some books, and go through our cuddle progression.
8:30-10:30 - Usually I work again.  I didn't have to work the late shift last week and it was delightful.
10:30 - I shower and dry my hair, which saves me from having to do it in the morning while Henry is running around. 
11:00 - Karl and I get in bed, read a bit, and call it a night.

It's a good groove and we manage to get everything done and still have a little fun.  But it's highly orchestrated and I feel like we're perpetually one blip away from mass chaos. 

Comments

Popular Posts