2.25

Our tiny girl is is rapidly turning from a toddler into a nimble, capable, opinionated preschooler.  This period of development amazes me.  A few months ago she was tripping over her feet and her short sentences.  And now she does all these functioning-human things, makes jokes, and expresses complex ideas.

It's a good thing she's fundamentally sweet and well-behaved, because she's completely undisciplinable.  For one thing, she doesn't care if we're mad at her.  For another, if we try to put her in time out or deny her candy, Henry just releases her or gives her whatever she wants.  She's also adorable and knows it, which is terrifying.  It only took her two years to perfect the "you get more flies with honey" strategy.  If I tell the kids it's time to turn off the TV and come to breakfast, Ingrid very sweetly smiles at me and says, "I just finish this little bit and then I come up."  Every now and then she tries the whining-and-demanding strategy but seems to accept pretty quickly that it doesn't get her anywhere.  Mostly she just gives us the a stinker grin and does whatever she wants.  This works exceedingly well on Karl.

She is very capable and likes to do everything herself.   We hear one thousand times a day, "I got it, I got it!"  She can completely undress and dress herself if one isn't too particular about garments being right side out or facing the right way.  Or about being anywhere on time.

Everything she says is funny because she tries to say such grownup things in her tiny voice.  She started using but, cause, until and so -- but she uses them all wrong.  As in, "Henry hit me 'cause I cried."  She also scrambles "go without" and "forgot," which turns out very cute.  She wails, "The boys go out with me!" when the boys go somewhere without her, and "You got for my milk!" if I come upstairs at bedtime with no milk cups.  Favorite exclamations from the last few weeks:

  • I want to stay in my jammies for a little bit.
  • Mommy, you got for to turn on my sounds!
  • No, I don't need another band aid!

Sometimes when she's trying to set up a very long or complicated sentence, she stutters a bit at the beginning, like she needs a moment to sort all the words into the right order in her head.  Obviously I don't want her to have a speech impediment, but for now, I think this is adorable.

She loves rattling off numbers, which go in the following order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 16, eleventeen, 14, 16, eleventeen, 14, 16, eleventeen....

She finally started singing.  Two years of Music Together classes and she just started singing along and dancing two weeks ago.  She rattles off whole songs that she has learned from Henry or with Miss Jackie.  Her usual repertoire includes Tiny Tim, the peanut song, Where is Thumbkin, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and parts of the Frozen soundtrack.  The ABC song gets caught in an infinite loop because she sings, "...now I know my ABCDEFG..."

Montessori has been a great fit for her.  She enjoys the puzzles and dressing boards in her classroom.  At home, we can see that she is learning to work independently and put things away when she is done.  She's still a good helper in the kitchen.  She likes to snap green beans, spray and wipe her kitchen ladder, and carry dishes to and from the table.

The beloved Miss Jackie


Her three favorite stories of things that actually happened: getting caught in the rain, the water in grandma's ceiling, and Henry losing his balloons.

She loves to run.  A race starts with, "1, 2, 3, set, go!" and she says, "Watch how fast this run!"

She won't let me put her hair in bows or pigtails anymore but does insist that we apply product before bed.

Did I mention she's still the cutest?



Comments

Popular Posts