3.5

I'm pleased to report that Ingrid's flirtation with threenager-hood was short-lived.  Apparently being whiny and over-dramatic was just not her style.  She's back to being a delightful little specimen of childhood.  I'm pretty sure that my mom-friends who only have boys all want to steal her.

She's still our Cuddly McCuddlesons.  Almost every morning, she pads down the hall and climbs into bed with us.  Lately she likes to flop right on top of Karl and cuddle him aggressively for half an hour.  When I pick her up from school, she likes to sit on my lap for an hour while Henry (and lately, Heidi) run around on the playground.  She needs the physical closeness to recharge before she gets a second wind and runs off to play.  It's hard when Heidi won't let me focus on Ingrid when she needs it.

The nap is going by the wayside.  I think she might have continued napping if she'd been at home, but she can't usually sleep at school, and her body has gotten used to it.  She's often very tired in the afternoon.  Sometimes she will curl up under a blanket or lay her head on my lap and doze off for half an hour.  It's nice that she can snooze like that when she needs to.  She has always been remarkably good at identifying her body's to sleep.  I so distinctly remember chatting with a neighbor on our way home from a morning outing, the summer that Ingrid turned two.  I was lingering and Ingrid whined, "Mama, I'm tiiiiired.  Go to bed."  The neighbor was amazed that a not-yet two-year-old could articulate that.

After many requests and much anticipation, she started dance classes in January.  Three-year-old ballet is perhaps the cutest thing in the world.  Ingrid watches Miss Lola very carefully and dances with everything she's got.




She likes school but tells us absolutely nothing about it.  All we know is that she is very prolific with the art materials.*

Ingrid parrots Henry a lot.  Henry has a zombie nightmare, Ingrid has a zombie nightmare.  Somebody whacked Henry on the playground, Ingrid got whacked on the playground.  Henry makes penis jokes...yeah.  But I don't think of her as hiding in his shadow.  I think she's usually just trying to emulate his big-kid skills: attention-getting, joke-telling, tattling, etc.  We have noticed that she doesn't parrot Henry's complaints about going to school even though he provides almost daily fodder. She must actually like school and isn't afraid to own it.

Still loves sweets and helping me in the kitchen.  We bake often enough that she can now level a measuring cup and sift dry ingredients on her own.  She's also very thorough when it comes to cleaning batter off the beaters and bowl.





We celebrated her half-birthday at school last week.  I brought a picture and Ms. Sherri read a few sentences I had written about each year of Ingrid's life.  Ms. Sherri looked at the 3.5 picture and said, "NO, she is not allowed to look this old.  I'm keeping this baby little forever."  You and me both, lady.



*Update: Karl attended our parent-teacher conference with Ms. Sherri this morning.  She reports that Ingrid is delightful and told us to have more children.  

Comments

Popular Posts