2.75

Is this really really my last post for a two year old?  Maybe not, since Fritz has promised me he'll be two forever.

The biggest update: Fritz started school!  I had lots of angst about sending him off but he is doing SO WELL.  I had even worked out with his teacher that he would stay home with me on Fridays, but for the past three weeks, I have given him the option of staying home with mama or going to school, and he picks going to school (is there a cheering + weeping emoji?).

First first-day photo!



The first week was tough; there was some crying at drop-off and he was very overwhelmed at the end of the day.  But by the end of week two, he was asking to go to school, telling me all about his best friend and how they climb up buildings like Spiderman at the playground, and doing all kinds of fun work in tiny adorable aprons.




I love dropping him off in the morning.  He seems so mature and competent in his little world.  He changes his own shoes and washes his hands, gives me a big squeeze, and marches into the classroom to find his buddy.  Miss Melissa learned he likes dinosaurs and bought some special dinosaur stamps just for him, though Fritz says he will share with his best friend.  The best friend is Joey, initially referred to as "Doobie," so Doobie he will forever be in my mind.  Sounds like Fritz does most of his work with either Doobie or Heidi but is starting to interact with the other children.  Doobie also came over for a play date last week and it was adorable.  They play and talk and wrestle and it reminded me so much of Henry and Ravi at the same age. 



Fritz is the most self-possessed around the house.  None of the other kids would go to the opposite end of the house alone at this age.   He walks over to the paint cabinet, pulls out all the bottles, gets a little tray and the brushes, and calls me over only when he needs help opening the bottles.  Or when I'm busy doing something else, he'll mosey over to the living room and finds some toys to play with independently.  After tending to Heidi for the past 4.5 years, this is still a tiny miracle to me every time. 




Alas, he also remains our worst sleeper.  None of the other kids got out of bed regularly at this age.  Fritz, who owns the household, strolls out of bed at any random hour of the night and demands that someone lay with him for several hours.  We tried one night of sleep training (when Henry was at a sleepover), which resulted in several hours of screaming and one martyr toddler sleeping naked and uncovered on the floor in our room.  Fritz was somewhat chastened and stopped requiring a bed-mate.  Instead he just wakes up and says he has to pee.  He knows we will get out of bed for this.  He's gaming us all. 

In other major news, the tiny man dropped the nap.  His naps were getting shorter over the summer, and it got to the point that bedtime was a battle (a very late battle) if he napped.  We moved toward quiet time with a baba and Thomas & Friends.  He occasionally falls asleep and I just wake him up after 20 minutes.  This is the youngest any kid has dropped the nap.  Well, Henry dropped it at this age but started sleeping until 10a.m.  Fritz is about four hours shy of that.



Giving up the nap has been an unexpected blessing.  For one thing, if he went to school all morning and slept all afternoon, I would miss him way too much.  Plus, it's so freeing!  Fritz loves stopping at the park on the way home from school.  He screams, "My parky!  Let's go to my parky!"  And we can do it.  I bring lunch and we hang out at the park until it's time to meet the big kids.  Or we can do the park and then run an errand!  At 2:00 in the afternoon!  After nine years of living and dying by the nap schedule, I feel positively footloose. 



He loves dinosaurs, especially triceratops, and all the superheroes.  I'm surprisingly delighted to have tiny muscle costumes in our house again.  I'm even more delighted to have tiny muscle costumes at the grocery store, park, and state fair. 




Everything Henry does is the best.







Here are some other random pictures from the last few months.  Summer now seems like a long time ago, but I assure you, Fritz was adorable and wonderful in all his sunscreened, chlorinated, mopsy-haired glory.




Everyone loves the baby.


Gratuitous nudity!

First tube ride!


I'll close with my favorite tear-jerker of the month.  These boys...they grow up too fast.








Comments

Popular Posts