Banner Year

One year ago today, I got up early and took a pregnancy test.  After staring at it in the bathroom for awhile, I went back to bed to wake Karl and tell him we were going to be parents.  We hugged, we stared at each other in semi-stunned silence for awhile, and then I think we went back to sleep.  Later that day, we went out for Mexican food.  Because that is what pregnant ladies do.  I'm pretty sure I left my pants unbuttoned and smiled like a moron when declining the waiter's offer of a margarita. 

It's been an amazing and wonderful year since then.

In March, I thought I was showing.  Oh, I had no idea.
In April, we got our first glimpse of an identifiable human Henry.  The sonogram nurse was certain I had the date of conception wrong because the baby was measuring so much longer than average.
By May, I was actually showing and thought I was huge.  Still no idea.  Karl went to Italy with Carol and Dave to celebrate their 40th anniversary and 60th birthdays.
In June, we went to St. Louis to celebrate my parents' 30th anniversary and 60th birthdays.  We got to tell our parents what we'd learned that week -- Henry was a Hans and not a Heidi.
 In July, we met the Reitzes and Bradens in Philly to celebrate Alex's wedding.
We celebrated our 5th anniversary on July 30.  I don't have any pictures of us from that day, but I do have this shot of Emily's fabulous red dress that I wore to dinner at Art & Soul.
In September, we spent a long weekend in Cape Cod and Rhode Island with the law school friends for Julia C's wedding, visiting three new states in the process (now I'm only missing three!).  We also went to New Jersey for Serge's epic Hindu-Jewish wedding.  Best wedding food of all time. 
By October, I actually was huge.  Really huge.  My October 27 due date came and went.
Henry arrived on November 2, and every inch worth the wait.  November was a wonderful blur of getting to know our son and introducing him to his family and friends.
December brought our epic Christmas tour of the Midwest.
By January we had developed a wonderful and quiet routine with our little man.
And now we're in Florida for a little fun in the sun before I go back to work, Henry starts with nanny Elaine, and we see what our new full-time, real-life routine looks like.
  This year was so good to us.

Comments

  1. . . . and good to gramma and granpa Wolff. We couldn't love you or Henry more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts