No, NEXT August

Yesterday I had the following conversation with two students from the nursing school across the street from my office:

Student 1: Aww, she's pregnant!  Honey, when are you due?
Me: August.
Student 2: August next year?
Me: [Brief pause while I attempt to control my facial muscles.]
Student 1: No, she's too big.  Must be August this year.  Honey, you look so cute.
Me: Uh, thanks...

Nursing students, people.  I'm never going to a hospital ever again.

Anyway, since the future of American healthcare thinks that I'm looking very pregnant, I thought it was time for a pregnancy update.  I'm 18.5 weeks already!  Pregnancy goes much faster when the utero baby isn't the only baby one has to focus on.  I keep thinking I should post it on Facebook, but then I feel bad that I haven't told certain people personally yet, and so here we are almost at the halfway mark and the only people who know about Baby R2 are the folk I see on a daily basis (and you all, and whomever you talk to).

Everybody at work knows though, which has been fine.  The guy I do most of my work for just had kid #9 (NINE!!) so he was very congratulatory.  His #8 was born just before Henry, and when I told him I was pregnant, he asked if Karl and I were trying to keep up.  I told him we were shooting for a bobsled team instead of a baseball team.

I was planning to hold off on telling people at work for another few weeks, but the jig was clearly up when, during that [expletive] training exercise that I attended in January, I spent all morning looking like I was trying not to die and all night awkwardly not drinking will all of my colleagues. The upside to telling everyone early was that I could go ahead and switch to maternity clothes.  Wearing stretchy dresses all the time is my sartorial goal in life.

Now that the nauseous phase has passed, I'm generally feeling well but am more tired this time around.  It's probably not fair to blame that entirely on this baby, since I suspect his/her older brother has more to do with it.  I also think I "popped" earlier this time, which shouldn't surprise anyone since when I got pregnant with Henry I had just run a marathon and had some serious stomach muscles to hold things in.  This time, the last time I did any running was just before I got pregnant . . . with Henry.

Here's the profile pic taken at 16 weeks:


And for comparison, at 16 weeks with Henry:


We find out next Friday whether it's a boy or a girl.  Stay tuned for the big news!

Comments

  1. I had to wear maternity clothes right after I peed on the pregnancy test. Baby #2 shows itself much earlier than #1. Half way there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! Can't imagine 9 kids...I'm with you and Karl that a bobsled team is more appropriate than a baseball team (though baseball is by far the better sport!).

    Excited to hear the gender news soon - I'm gunning for a girl to bring some balance to the kid crew for Schrader Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great Shelby! And I am dying laughing about those nursing students!!

    :Chants to self: "Never get sick, never get sick, never get sick":

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts