Sixteen Months

Whoa, the second of the month already?  I've been a bad blogger, sorry about that.   The people I work for seem to think I should "do stuff," and do it all evening when I would rather be telling you all how adorable my kid is.

And he is more and more of a kid every month.  Sometimes I catch him doing something and am taken aback by how much mature he seems than just a few months ago.  His movements are smoother and less goofy -- he doesn't need to swing his entire upper body just to walk.  He seems to have a much better understanding of cause and effect -- he clearly understands when something he wants to do will result in falling, and either holds onto something or braces himself for the impact.  He also engages in hijinks because he knows we find them funny -- like tonight, when he was rolling around on a mattress on the floor and kept getting more and more animated because he realized we were enjoying the show.  And he's getting more interested in big-boy things, like loud trucks and aircraft.

The I-heard-a-helicopter face.

After his breakfast love affair with baby Julia, we got him a baby doll and he immediately adopted it and dubbed it BooBoo (much to my dismay, he has since learned to say "baby" and now just calls it "baby").  He loves it and hugs it and carries it around with him, and just this week started taking care of it.  After spilling yogurt all over BooBoo at dinner, I stripped off the doll's clothes and got out some of Henry's newborn clothes to put on it.  Henry picked out some socks for her, then got out a diaper and laid it on top of the doll, then put her on a blankie, covered her up, and said "nap."  My sweet little guy.

Reading about vehicles with BooBoo.

He is picking up words really fast and yammers almost constantly.  We're losing count of the words, but some of this month's favorites are home (haaaaam), diaper (dipey), animals (ah-moo), choo-choo train (tsoo-tsoo), ball, shoes, boots (yes, he can distinguish between boots and shoes; that's my guy!), trash, door, car, nap, moon, juice, hair, baby, and apple.  He says "meow" when we see a cat and "roar" to the lions in his books.  He learned his own name last week (Hon-wee), which makes me want to squeeze his adorable little cheeks every time he says it, and invented his own word for "hey, one of you parents, I don't care which one" ("ma-daddy"). 

He's been having wild swings of favoritism between me and Karl.  We had one week where he wouldn't let me leave the room and cried so long and loud when I dropped him off with Elaine that I could still hear him wailing when I got to my car (oy, I was really late to work every day that week).  Then something flipped and he had a week of wanting Daddy and nobody but Daddy, and Mama was chopped liver.  It's a good thing we both find him delightful.  It's also a good thing he spreads the love, because dude is getting heavy.

Mama's boy.

He's turning into such a wonderful little companion.  I am occasionally wistful for snuggly-baby Henry -- mostly when I want to cuddle up and take a nap -- but boy-Henry is proving altogether satisfactory.

Comments

Popular Posts