23 Months

All of my parenting books stop counting in months when the baby turns 2, and now I understand why.  Henry isn't changing so much from month to month anymore.  An extra word or two in his average sentence length, a few new skills, a few new interests, but he is basically the same sweet little man that he was a month ago and three months ago.  It's perfectly fine with me.  He remains quite delightful and I'm glad not to feel the faint sense of panic that this phase is flying by too quickly and I have failed to savor it before it disappears.

Our routine with Henry hasn't changed much in quite awhile, even since Ingrid arrived.  Wake up, milk, hang out, meet with Ravi and Elaine (outing in the morning, one nap from 1:30ish to 5:00ish), play time, dinner, naked time, bath, milk and stories, bed.  For the most part, we still manage to do dinner and naked time all together, but Karl has been doing most of the baths and bedtimes while I tend to the baby. 

Henry was a bit clingy this month -- I'm not sure if it was the result of neediness from having to share Mom and Dad with Ingrid after all the other adoring adults stopped visiting, or if it was just one of those months, but I enjoyed the extra cuddles enormously.  I heard a lot of "carry you, Mama," with upturned face and outstretched arms.  And he frequently woke up during my nightly bedtime check and stood up for a hug.  A nice way to end the day.

He is getting much better at complex physical feats like jumping and climbing and loves to do both.  He figured out how to ride the scooter featured in yesterday's post in about five minutes with minimal instruction.  His skill level is even more amazing to me now that we have a newborn in the house -- it's crazy that in less than two years a person can go from not knowing that they have hands to riding a scooter.  I think he would happily run around and climb things all day, and though he loves story time at night, he very seldom engages in any sort of quiet, still, or fine-motor activity of his own accord during the day.

He started singing, which I absolutely love and will try and capture on camera.  We celebrated two birthdays this month and Henry now sings the birthday song all the time. 

He also developed his own PG-13-rated joke, which deserves a whole separate post (coming soon).  In sum, he is turning into a real boy.

So I suppose this is my last monthly update for Henry, and when he turns two next month, my baby will officially no longer be a baby.  The months are slowing down but time has still gone awfully fast.


Comments

Popular Posts