Two Months

Sweet baby is definitely not a newborn anymore!  Karl left for Seoul on Monday and came back on Friday, and somewhere in between, it became totally clear that Ingrid's lights are on and somebody is home. 

She is taking everything in and interested in what's going on.  She readily flashes great gummy smiles (mostly at me and Henry).  She eats like a champ and now has three -- count them, three! -- thigh wrinkles.  She still loves the Bjorn and generally despises the ocean playmat.  I think she knows that she has hands but can't control them yet.  She gets quite angry if we dare to put her down for more than two minutes but is completely unfazed when Henry thumps and bumps and squishes her.



Ingrid has regressed a little in her sleep habits.  The good news is that she will now sleep for up to 11 hours at night and wake up to eat only once.  The bad news is that she will not sleep at all unless she is physically touching me.  A few weeks ago I was successfully getting her to nap in her crib during the day, and we had a two-week stretch (from about 5 weeks old to 7 weeks old) when she would go to sleep between 8:30 and 9:00 at night and stay asleep in her crib for several hours.  Karl and I were starting to feel smugly pleased with our parenting skills and had just gotten into the habit of breaking out a bottle of wine after bedtime, when Ingrid abruptly stopped sleeping in her crib.  Other than my success on Monday night, we haven't gotten her to sleep at a reasonable hour in her own bed for over a week.  She passes out as soon as I feed her but won't stay asleep unless she stays on me.  I love snuggling with the baby and all, but I don't want to go to bed at 8:00 with her every single night.  All attempts at crib napping also result in angry baby rage.  We'll have to start letting her cry it out a little more eventually, but I'm not quite there yet. 

At the end of September I thought we were seeing the first outlines of her natural schedule, but then the boys came back to our house for October and Karl was gone all week, and our routine went all to hell.  Now she is on no schedule at all.  Maybe that's what November will be for.  Or maybe second and subsequent children just learn to roll with it.

We still can't figure out who she looks like.  I occasionally catch a glimpse of baby Henry, but Henry clearly looked like Karl, and yet Ingrid doesn't look like Karl (Probably a good thing.  He'd make a funny-looking woman.).  Her eyes are clearly lightening to blue.  Karl thinks her hair is getting lighter, but I'm not so sure.  It's funny, when she was born with all that dark hair I had to mentally adjust from the blonde baby I expected to the brunette baby we got; now I'm very attached to the idea of dark hair over blue eyes and would be a little disappointed if her hair changed color. 


The newborn phase went by even faster with Ingrid than it did with Henry.  I am looking forward to getting to know her as her personality emerges, but oh, I wish they would stay tiny a little longer.



Comments

Popular Posts