FirstDayofSchoolFirstDayofSchoolFirstDayofSchool!

The first day went really well.  Henry slept late enough to be rested but not so late to make us rushed and was ready to rock.  He put on his favorite shirt and told me he was going to be Captain America today. 



He was really annoyed that he didn't get to ride a yellow school bus (poor kid, he probably never will as long as we live in this neighborhood).  But by riding on the top of the stroller he got to display his unmistakable I'm-Off-to-School! face and new heffalump backpack to everyone we passed, and about fifteen people told him to have a great day and that school was awesome, dispelling any ambivalence he may have felt.


Henry pushed the entry button on the school door, hung up his backpack, and ran into his classroom, where he immediately started playing at the kitchen with his buddy Cooper.  Cooper's mom and I hung around for awhile like we were hoping worried that the boys would suddenly miss us and want us to stay, but they were in the zone.  I went over to tell Henry I was heading out and to have a fun day, and he just waved me goodbye.

I looked at class schedule and was pleased/alarmed that they were going to take nine two-year-olds that they don't know and have not established any authority over to the local park six blocks away.  Henry loves the park but I was geeling a little bit like: The drop off?  They're going to the drop off?  Are you insane?  Why don't we just fry them up now and serve them with chips??  As though three adults cannot handle nine kids.

I peeked back in the classroom window on my way out and Miss Bridget was rounding the kids up for circle time.  They each have a little mat they're supposed to sit on, and Henry was the first kid on his mat, which was possibly the last thing on the planet that I expected from him.  Then again, the apple-polisher doesn't fall far from the tree.

Ingrid and I went to brunch and bought some shoes.  It was a beautiful day and nice to have some girl time.

I wore my sunglasses all morning because I was two blinks away from tears the whole time.

The morning zipped by and we picked Henry up at 12:30.  He seemed to be having a great time in the play room where they end the day.  Miss Bridget said he did really well and liked drawing (which he NEVER does at home).  I asked if he was too much of a tyrant with the other kids, and she said he seemed to come on strong but was extremely easy to reason with and always ended up complying with whatever the adults told him.  Sounds about right.  The mom who stayed in the room today said he talks more than any of the other kids and has a great vocabulary.  Henry told me his favorite things were climbing and the fire truck, and that he played with Miss Bridget and Cooper. 

Happy at the end of the day!

Thursday is my volunteer day, so I will be one of those lucky three adults herding nine cats.  It also means Ingrid has her first day with the babysitter.  I should probably be more nervous for her, our clingy baby of a stay-at-home mom, than I was for her intrepid big brother, but I can only be anxious about one thing at a time.  Big changes for everyone this fall!

Henry asked about forty-five times this afternoon if we could go back to school yet.  I'm so proud of him that I could burst.

Comments

Popular Posts