School Is Ruining Our Lives

For those of you interested in the Henry school saga, things are still very bad.  Our pleasant summer days of quiet mornings and long naps are over.  Henry now wakes up weirdly early, cries and whines for two straight hours until I take him to school, then screams and wails at drop-off.  Ingrid and I proceed with our morning so that I can get her down for a nap reasonably early, just so that I can wake her up and drag her half-asleep little body back to Logan for Henry's pick-up.

The teacher says he usually calms down and does fine, but sometimes is weepy and unsettled all morning.  We can tell that he calms down and gets engaged sometimes, because he comes home talking about cylinder blocks and the proper way to trace a letter.  He also says he has a girlfriend, Amelia, and it appears that every kid he's ever met on the playground knows his name.

We had one pretty decent morning yesterday.  He started to cry a few times but kept himself together.  I was hopeful that he was getting over the hump and maybe he'd smooth out now that Karl is home after two weeks abroad.

And then this morning he literally ran screaming from the building and made it to the end of the block before the front desk lady and I caught him.  Because the way I want to spend my morning is running through the rain, carrying a 30-pound toddler, trying to catch my psychotic older child while we all cry in public.  I'm six months pregnant.  You can guess how nimble my running is.

Ingrid is the only thing making me feel better about this whole saga.  She loves school so much that we're picking up another day for her.

It's only my kid who is completely and totally insane at drop-off.  But at least it's not all my kids.

Comments

Popular Posts