Nix the Road Trips

Heidi spent the first four months of her life getting in and out of the car.  Third kid gets dragged along for every school pickup and outing.  She accepted her lot in life and fell asleep on any drive longer than 10 minutes.

And then we went to Minnesota in May and she was possessed by a demon.  We put her in the car and she screamed the horrible scream usually reserved for shots at the doctor's office.  We were so sure that she was in pain that Karl went to Wal-Mart in Northfield to purchase her a new carseat.  Alas, the new car seat was just as terrible.  And we got home to her regular seat, and it too had been converted into a torture device.  

I took her with me to New Jersey for WashU Friends Reunion XIX last month.  Three and a half hours each way, and she screamed bloody murder for three hours.  


I had to stop four times on the way there for my blood pressure to return to normal.  At one rest stop, I found myself looking around and wondering if I could get a beer.  I can't imagine why Maryland didn't issue liquor licenses to roadside vendors.

It was so terrible that I didn't think Karl would believe me.  I was trying to figure out how to record it without driving off the road, given that my focus was somewhat impaired to begin with.  Good thing someone at The Fruit thought of that.  Ding, ding.  Siri, take a voice memo.


Sadly, this means we are nixing our planned trip to Vermont.  We were really looking forward to taking the kids up there again but we just can't take 18 hours of this.


Unimpressed with seat #4.


Comments

Popular Posts