Seven Months

Heidi is giving us a workout this month.  She hasn't had three nights in a row of the same sleep pattern all month.  Some days she wakes up once around 4:00 and goes back to sleep.  Some days she wakes up at 5:00 or 6:00 and goes back to sleep.  Sometimes she wakes up at 5:00 or 6:00 and doesn't go back to sleep.  Sometimes she wakes up at 7:30 but leaves her siblings explicit instructions to wake up in the middle of the night just to mess with me.  As a general matter, I am strongly in favor of gently crushing the tiny children's spirits when it comes to correcting bad sleep patterns, but I don't even know what a given night will hold when we go to bed, let alone what habit I should be breaking.

To be fair, most of this is our fault.  We made her travel and then completely upended her schedule when school started.  Her summer nap schedule of sleeping from 8:00-10:00 and 2:30-4:30 was super awesome...until we had to be at school at 8:45 and 3:15.  She tries so hard to be happy but sometimes just can't make it through the day without clinging to my body and whimpering a lot.

So I'm feeling the three kids right now.  The transition from two to three kids was so easy at first, it seemed to good to be true.  Right now we have three kids on three different schedules.  I'm hoping it will be better when Ingrid starts school and Heidi can settle in to a new routine.  And I'm trying to savor the sweet feeling when I get her out of bed in the wee hours of the morning and she leans her head against me and her fluffy hair and baby skin are the softest things in the whole world.

When she isn't sad about having her nap schedule thrown out the window, she is the cheeriest baby.  Henry and Ingrid are absolutely hilarious.  All the time.  They don't even really have to be doing anything.  She laughs just to see them.  She also laughs at funny noises, being flown and turned upside down, and being laughed at.



The big kids accost her with love.  This is what happens to the poor child almost every time we get out of the car.


She hates being spoon-fed but has magically learned to suck from a straw/spout, so she can eat purees straight from the little pouches.  I guess this relieves me of making homemade baby food?  And she's already trying to feed herself.  She rakes bits of food into her palm, crams her entire fist into her mouth, and hopes food stays in when the hand is removed.  She loves All The Foods -- beets, carrots, vinegary asparagus, cucumbers, all of it.  Also, drinking out of my glass.

Beets are hilarious!

She's super close to crawling but can't quite work it out yet.  She takes three or four crawl-steps and then sits up.  But she's already trying to pull herself up on furniture.  And she will be able to do a legal breaststroke kick!



I'm excited about having so much one-on-one time with her this year.  I've never been home with just a big baby/small toddler before.  I think this one will be good company.

Comments

Popular Posts