Eight Months

Do you know why babies this age are so cute?  Because they are exhausting.

There are two modes:
(1) trying to kill herself
(2) demanding to be held

If she's on the floor, she's crawling like a wild woman, smacking her face into the furniture, and attempting to ingest and/or choke on inedible objects.  When she tires of these activities, or if I am attempting to prepare food or care for another child, she demands to be held.  And we make heavy babies.

Also, loud.  Yelling is still the preferred method of communication.  Here she is trying to convey that she wants to eat the ravioli behind the counter (we're at the market) or my phone.  I would say this is 75% of full volume.



Her new trick is sticking her tongue out.



Favorite toy is this green and yellow rattle.  Also loves: music class, every food I've ever given her, chewing shoes.



We finally buckled down to break her of the middle-of-the-night wakings.  She had one really terrible night when she was mad for over an hour and a half, before she accepted her fate and started sleeping through the night again.  She still wakes up about an hour earlier than I would like.  It's totally dark outside and I just take her downstairs, dump out a bucket of toys for her, and lie on the couch wishing I was still asleep.  But when I complain about the baby only sleeping from 7:30 to 6:00, my neighbors laugh at me.

Both big kids are in school now and Heidi adjusted to the new daytime schedule really well.  She goes down for her first nap as soon as we get back from drop-off.  It's a stretch for her to be awake from 6:00 to 9:00, but (knock on wood) if she falls asleep in the car on the way home, she still goes down easy when I transfer her to her crib.  She sleeps from 9:00 to 10:30 or so.  Then we go out and about until noon.  We eat lunch at home and then she goes down for nap #2 around 1:00.  I wake her up at 3:00 to get the other kids.  Then it's another long stretch from 3:00 to bedtime at 7:30, which usually gets ugly around 5:30.  But she gets a second wind for dinner and gleefully plays with the big kids before bed.

She's the blondest of all our babies.  Her newborn hair was a little curly but the real baby hair is coming in very silky and straight.   It's a good look for election season.  Heidi's all, "I'm Carly in the front, but The Donald in the back."


She pulls up on everything and is starting to tentatively cruise along the furniture and transfer from one prop to another.  Still loves to be tossed in the air and flipped upside down.  When she wants to play, she crawls over to me and goes into Downward Facing Dog in my lap.

So what we have is a tall, blue-eyed, blonde, loud, feisty girl with a daredevil streak.  I'm a little afraid of this one.





Comments

Popular Posts