Thirteen Months

Thirteen months and this baby is a total toddler.  She's fast, funny, cuddly, and ornery.


Heidi dropped to one nap this month.  I was planning to wait until the weather warmed up before making the transition so that she could stroller-snooze in the morning if necessary.  Alas, as usual, the children have other plans.  She just wasn't tired enough to squeeze two naps into the 6 hours between school drop-off and pick-up.  We had a few rough days where she probably needed a second nap and didn't get one, but she is mostly doing really well.  I'm enjoying having all morning free to get out and about.  We've been getting out for all my favorite toddler activities again: Library of Congress story time, Boogie Babes toddler rock concerts, park time, and we just tried our first mom-and-tot barre class!

She continues to be an adventurer.  Totally unafraid of physical peril.  The other day I was sitting on the basement steps, installing some carpet treads, about three steps down from the top.  Heidi was at the top and dove head-first off the landing.  She landed in my lap and squealed with glee.  Terrifying. Yesterday I was on the kids' top bunk, making Henry's bed, and I hear rattling on the ladder.  I peek over to see Heidi's giant grin about six inches below the edge of the bed.  Nothing like a thirteen-month-old six feet off the ground to give mom a little heart attack.  And she knows she isn't supposed to be climbing -- if I catch her on the stairs or scaling a table, she gives me a giant stinker smile and says, "HEI-di" in the exact same tone I use when I remind her that she shouldn't be trying to kill herself.  Maybe we can convince Henry's Parkour gym to start a Toddler Ninja Warrior class.

Two new words in the last week: nana (banana) and howie (the stuffed owl).  Still no new teeth, though I think one is imminent.

She loves putting objects inside of other objects, opening and closing doors, sunglasses, hats, the rainbow mallets in the instrument bucket at music class, Boynton books, and her fuzzy gray blankie.  Her favorite song is "If You're Happy and You Know It," though anything with hand motions will do.   Bathtime is great, she especially loves it when I put shampoo into her little upturned palms.  And bellies!  Belly buttons are hilarious.  Did you know everyone has them?



Though she has grown somewhat more discerning about food, she can still put it away like a trucker.  Tonight she inhaled seven slices of duck breast and a giant pile of fingerling potatoes (zucchini was poison).


She now has enough hair for a little ponytail or silly sprocket pigtails.  The little curls behind her ears slay me.


Comments

Popular Posts