Sad Baby

Today was the first day I had to leave behind a sad baby and go to work.  Henry is usually very jolly and playful in the mornings, but today he woke up in a funk -- didn't want to eat, didn't want to play, didn't want to go back to sleep, just didn't wanna anything.  He would get interested in something, only to get pissed off a minute later, and gave Elaine big smiles when she came in, only to start fussing again immediately.  He seemed like he was trying to be happy and just couldn't pull it off.  All he wanted was to be held.

I considered staying home with him, but I'm drowning at work, and it didn't seem like Henry was actually sick.   The obvious culprit is discomfort from teething -- he's cutting one on top and it looks like two more are on the way -- so I dosed him with baby Tylenol and waited to see if he would accept being handed off.  He appeared indifferent as to who was holding him (which only plucks mom's jealousy strings a tiny bit), so I took a deep breath and headed out the door, wishing I was the one staying home to do the holding.  It's a good thing Henry is usually so happy and healthy.  I couldn't do that very often.

Comments

  1. I'm sad for both of you. On days like this you wish he could talk and let you know what's wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts