Really, what more do you need to say?

Henry does have some important new skills (other than being extra adorable).  He can now direct his previously-indiscriminate pointing to things he actually wants.  He points, and we follow his aim like the good puppets we are.  I pick him up from his crib in the morning, and he points back into the crib, which means I'm supposed to fetch puppyhead.  Then he points at the door to his bedroom, and I take him out.  He points down the hall to our room, and I plunk him in the bed with Karl, and so on, all day.   Sometimes when he really wants something (most often, the blueberries on the table at mealtime) he gives it the two-hand point, strains forward, and grunts "heeeeeeeeee" like he's trying to shoot chubby-finger lasers at the desired object.

On the flip side, he has also started saying "No."  I don't think it's really his first word per se, because he doesn't seem to know exactly what it means and the vowel following "n" isn't always "o."  Most of the time it's a general-purpose expression of disapproval.  Ravi gets into the dog food--  "Nooonaahnoo."  I try to put his arms in his shirtsleeves-- "NOOOnehnehnehnoooo."   He also doesn't observe any act/omission distinction, so he also says, "Noooooo" when he means, "stop not doing what I want you to do!"  He points one way and I walk the other way-- "Naaanonono."  And he sometimes says it when he's having a good time but he knows I'm going to tell him "No."  He flings his food on the floor -- "NO! [with giant smile]."  Plus I just can't imagine that such an agreeable little guy would have such a contrary first word.  I'm holding out for an intentional "Dada" or "Mama" -- or at least "Izzy" -- to write down in the baby book.

Last but not least, he started dancing.  We turn the music on and he bops up and down and waves one arm in a slightly spastic manner.  It looks remarkably similar to Karl's style of dancing. 

So he can now express, "I want it," "I don't want it," and "I need to shake it."  That pretty much covers it.

Comments

Popular Posts