Seven Years: Maryland

Our seventh wedding anniversary was this week -- seven years sounds like a long time!   People at work always sound especially surprised when I tell them how long we've been married because it's more common for lawyers to get married at 33 than 23.  One partner said, "Jesus, were you a teen bride or something?"  I hope that means I look young for my age. 

We realized at our fourth anniversary that we had inadvertently celebrated our wedding and each anniversary in a different state.  Now I'm trying to make Karl do a different state for each anniversary so that when we get to 50 years married, we'll have done all 50 states and the District of Columbia.  I don't think I have the various trips written down anywhere, so here is what we've done:
  • Wedding: Missouri
  • 1st Anniversary: Nevada -- I was in Los Angeles for work that summer, so we met in Vegas for our anniversary.  
  • 2nd Anniversary: D.C. -- We didn't do anything special, just went out to dinner.
  • 3rd Anniversary: Illinois -- I took the Bar exam that week and we stayed in Chicago to celebrate.
  • 4th Anniversary: Washington -- We were living in Seattle and spent our anniversary weekend hiking at Mt. Rainier from Paradise lodge.
  • 5th Anniversary: Pennsylvania -- Alex and Shannon's wedding was in Philly the weekend before our anniversary, so we're counting that as our marital travel for that year.
  • 6th Anniversary: Virginia -- We watched Casablanca on our first date.  Last year Wolftrap theater was showing Casablanca on the big screen with the National Orchestra playing the score, on July 30.  We went to dinner at the Virginia classic Auberge Chez Francois before the movie.
  • 7th Anniversary: Maryland -- We drove out to Annapolis and had dinner at another quirky French place and walked around the waterfront.  It was nice to have a quiet evening alone before baby sister arrives and chaos ensues. 

I imagine it will get harder to keep this up now that we've exhausted all of our easy options (DC/MD/VA -- though Delaware and West Virginia are both really close).  I also have no idea what we'll plan when we get down to, say, Arkansas and Indiana.  But it will be fun to try.

Happy anniversary to my wonderful hubband and father of my almost-2 children!

Comments

Popular Posts