Epic Fail

Today I attempted to leave the house without the baby for the first time. He's a month old -- so we're ready for this, right?

What indulgent, relaxing new-mother activity had I planned, you might ask. Pedicure? Massage? Shopping for clothes that fit? Oh, no, not nearly dorky enough. For my first outing, I planned to go to oral argument at the Supreme Court. One of the cases I worked on last year was appealed to the Court, and I put the argument on the calendar the day the schedule was announced and got Karl to take the day off so he could stay with Henry.

Henry usually wakes up around 7:00, so I didn't set an alarm. Turns out Henry wakes up when Karl's alarm goes off and he gets ready for work. Karl didn't go to work, so we all slept until 8:15. Okay, no big deal, I don't need to shower. I get myself dressed in an outfit carefully chosen last night -- I have precisely one reasonably professional, seasonally-appropriate outfit that fits. I start to change Henry's diaper, and he immediately pees all over my clothes. I frantically search for something else to wear and end up in a somewhat-too-springy outfit that I wore to work during my first trimester.

I'm late, so I drive to the Court even though it's less than a mile away. As soon as I get out of the car, it starts raining. Freezing, sheeting rain. But I really want to see this argument so I join the line on the Court plaza. Normally they admit about 75 people and start seating around 9:30 for the 10:00 argument. At 9:45 we were all still standing in the rain. At 9:55 the guards let in about five people and explain that a student group from Sidwell Friends will be taking up the rest of the public seats. Aaaargh!

I arrive home, soaking wet and seriously cranky, and Karl emerges from the basement. He is wearing no pants. Apparently there was a Poop Situation, and Karl's pants were a casualty of war (the baby's onesie was somehow spotlessly clean).

So I got peed on, wore spring clothes to stand in the freezing rain, Karl got pooped on, and I didn't get to see my case argued. I should have just booked a massage.

Comments

Popular Posts